Bay Area Wedding Planners Discuss Chinese Wedding Day Traditions
Preparing for your wedding is an exciting time. If you wish to honor your Chinese heritage and integrate traditions into your Bay Area ceremony, TDE Wedding can help you with Chinese wedding day services. While many ancient traditions may no longer be followed, here are a few.
Traditional Chinese wedding planners might adopt or suggest some or all of the following rituals:
- The groom is led to the bride’s home, often carrying a child to represent the children they will have. There he encounters his fiancé’s bridesmaids who haggle with the groom and demand that he perform tricks and give them money until they are satisfied.
- The couple travels to the groom’s house with her feet never touching the ground. There she must step over a saddle or lit stove to enter the home.
- The couple stands at the family altar, where they honor heaven and earth, the family ancestors, and the kitchen god, Tsao-Chün.
- They offer tea to the groom’s parents. Each cup contains either two lotus seeds or two red dates.
- The bride and groom bow to each other to complete the ceremony.
In ancient China, the banquet was more important than the actual wedding ceremony, as it publicly declared the couple had married. A whole fish is served to guests, because the word for fish sounds like the word for plenty, and this ritual serves as a way to wish the couple abundance in their marriage. Sweet lotus seeds are served as dessert to symbolize the couple’s wish for children.
Contact the Chinese Wedding Planners at The Day Entertainment
TDE Wedding strives to create each couple’s perfect ceremony and reception. If you need a Bay Area Chinese wedding MC or DJ, or more comprehensive help with your event, we can accommodate you and keep your guests thoroughly entertained. Contact us today through our online contact form, or give us a call at (415) 813-8900, and we’ll help make your wedding dreams a reality.